(Look, there I am in the back left corner! Oh, wrong scene...)
Round 3-
Last Friday was the last chance for my role as a tribute trainer. There were only 6 that were called back, and luckily I was one of them. There were 3 girls and 3 boys. The call time was 11:30 am so I dropped my kids off at Sabrina's place again (thank you!!) and headed to the Phillip Morris Plant. It was a little sad thinking it was my last time.
Got there, checked in and the guy checking me in finally remembered my name without me having to tell him. We got our costumes on then down to get the hair done. A lady did my hair this time and again had to describe my 'do. She spent the longest time out of the 3 people on my hair. It seriously took her 40 min compared to the usual 20 min. I also think she used 3/4 can of hairspray. It wasn't rock hard, it was CEMENT hard. I told her that I could probably run my head into the wall and not get hurt. I don't know if she took that as a compliment of was offended, but I did compliment her and getting it to stay put if I turned my head one way or the other. It felt like there was a helmet glued onto my head.
Went down to the waiting area and waited again. We had our own snack table with chips, candy, apples, and water. I noticed another table down the way about 50 ft. that had yogurt, bagels, pears/apples/oranges, juice, and 3 coolers full of soda. Uhhhh...that was different. Usually there was only one table and we all ate off of it. A girl trainer went to go get some coffee at the other table and she was told that she couldn't eat off that table- it's only for the crew. WHAT?! Segregation! Not cool. Everyone was pretty upset.
Lunch rolled around and the casting helper dude made us stand in a line and led us to the lunch area (don't know if I explained that since we are extras we eat last after cast and crew, and we never had to stand in a line before- felt a little like we were in elementary school again). I saw on the sign it was lobster tails and filet mignon. I was excited because I've never had either before in my entire 28 years of life. I got up to the front and saw the lobster tails weren't displayed and were set behind the servers, so I asked for the steak. He said, "nope, you only get that fish or chicken." I asked if I could have both. He said, "no, only one." WHAT?! That's not cool- I gotta get my protein intake for the next 2 weeks in my body! So I got the mahi mahi (yeah, feel sorry for me, right?) and the asparagus and was forced to actually get salad because I couldn't get both meats and had to fill up on the salad. They still had a really good salad bar and cakes and ice cream though. While we were eating we noticed a bunch of people that had a handful of white shirts in their hands. We saw there was a table with piles of shirts that had the Hunger Games logo on it. One of the extras asked if we would get a shirt and the crew guy said, " nope, only crew." WHAT?! All the extras were pretty mad about that one because they had PILES of shirts and there were probably about 18 extras total there.
We went and sat again. Us trainers weren't used, but the others were. Since we weren't doing anything I decided to wander around through the other sets. I saw Katniss's Capitol bedroom, hovercraft, game watching area, train compartments, and Katniss's train room. It was crazy to think that these little sets make you think it is part of a bigger area/picture. Blows my mind. After that I just sat and listened to the other trainer's stories of filming other parts of the movie. One of the trainers was the stand in for the tribute Thresh, so he had some interesting filming parts and stories. It will be fun to see the movie and if I'm able to spot the different people I met on set.
Around 6:30 pm we heard a lot of cheering and clapping and someone said, "that's a wrap!" and my heart sunk because that means they were finished filming the scene that the trainers could have been in. That means it was time to go home. Good thing was that it wasn't a 12 hour day, only 6 1/2, and I could drive home while the sun was still up. I also got paid for sitting and eating not-as-good-as-last-time snacks and wandering around the other sets. Was disappointed that I didn't get any more filming time in but heck, I was happy with just being able to see the behind the scenes stuff of making a movie. There was a girl trainer that had come 4 times and didn't get any filming. I had gone 3 times and got one filming...so not bad. I just hope my part doesn't get cut :). I will tell you that it was a panned camera view so it will probably be a quick shot. We'll see though, and I can't wait until March when it comes out to see if I will be in it. Saturday was the last day of filming for the entire movie.
So I drove home to an empty house. David took the girls to Raleigh to visit his brother and family for the evening and Saturday. It was strange staying by myself and waking up for basketball early Saturday morning by myself. I flipped on all the lights and got make as much noise as I wanted to. I cleaned the house and went grocery shopping (and shhh, don't tell David...took a 2 hour nap). It was nice but I was happy when they came home around 5:00.
That was the end of my extras career. I did get a call from the casting lady to see if I could send in my pic to her for an extras spot on a cable show called Homeland (I think it might start this fall?) that is also being filmed here. It was for a "preppy political intern" spot....yeah, I don't think I meet that criteria, and the filming people obviously didn't think I met it as well because I didn't hear back from them.
Being an extra was fun while it lasted and if anything, I got to eat great food and get paid for it...minus the lobster tail and filet mignon.

3 comments:
I love it. I'm sorry about the segregation, that's a bummer but what a cool story!
Makes me want to try to spot your dad in his 15 min of fame... but I never can. haha
Can't wait for the movie!
Katie...you can't spot him cuz it's more like 15 seconds of fame. haha....
Emma. The trainers should have had an uprising like in the book and raided the "real" food table. hehe
I hope to see you in the film sop I can say I know somebody famous, again!!
Post a Comment